Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Physical therapy/ Lymphedema

Update #1: (Wednesday, Oct. 31)

I started out at Physical Therapy this morning, looking to get some education about how to avoid lymphedema once they remove some more lymph nodes from my right arm. I had a very good educator in Paula, (who has something seriously wrong with her voice, but I didn't mention it). She said I can use my bike arm warmers as a lymphedema sleeve if I sense any swelling, but she wants me to get a glove too, so the swelling won't go into my hand. Here are some pictures of the things I'll use as needed in the future. There are some fun options out there. Clearly, I'm not the first fashionista to have lymphedema. ;) There's even a brand called LympheDIVA. Hahaha!


The top picture is a pretty close  representation of the bike
arm warmers I already have. The bottom picture is the
pattern I got for the glove. It is actually called a gauntlet
and will enclose my hand up to my knuckles and my thumb.
No fingers.

I went to work, but before my first student, I called the surgeon's office I've been dealing with to politely ask them to hurry the heck up. I got a call back from the nurse who gave me my schedule for the next couple of weeks.
Tuesday, Nov. 6 (election day... have to fit voting in somewhere)- I will go in on an empty stomach for a PET scan of my abdomen to specifically look at my liver. (This one is huge. Please pray that the liver is clear of any evidence of cancer) Then I will NOT eat lunch, and go to a CAT scan. (Hey, I have a Pet Cat! ...Focus, Amy.) The CAT scan will look at my whole entire body and see if it finds anything interesting to report. (Again, praying it is not found in bones or organs.)
I will find out results and surgical plan on Monday, Nov. 12 in the late afternoon, then will speak to my oncologist on Wednesday morning to see if she's going to make me do chemo and/or radiation.
I have the same team as I've always had, Dr. Dosch as my surgeon, and Dr. Krie as my oncologist. I trust them completely. I just thought I was done with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment