Friday, November 23, 2018

Infusion Day 1

Well, that was boring.

Thankfully!!!

As you know, IT'S MUH BIRTHDAY... so the kids had to get up and give me presents before I left the house this morning. And of course, I wore my tiara, my kitty sweater and my rainbow unikitty socks to the infusion center.
Here I am in the infusion room with
my tiara, Gary Purry and my IV pole,
(which I've affectionately named Tim)
poking out over the top like some kind of party favor.
Rainbow unikitty socks!
They're upside down from my perspective,
but trust me. They're awesome.

 I got this pretty new smart watch that is significantly larger than my old step counter, (I was actually wearing both in this picture), and is definitely of Asian origin of some sort, so wading through the broken English in the user manual, and set up guide was a little tricky, but I had plenty of time on my hands today... LITERALLY! Har, har!

I knew this was what I was getting, and
I picked it out because I think it's pretty.
Hope it doesn't suck. 

Last night, Matt said, "What time do we have to be there tomorrow?" I said, "I think 9:45," then checked my calendar which said 9:30. This morning, I checked the revised schedule they sent me in the mail, which I clearly have not updated in my calendar, and we were supposed to be there at 8. It was 9:15.

Wonder if I can set my new watch to "don't be a doofus" mode?

Anyway, I got there an hour and a half late, but they weren't mad or anything. Oncology nurses are the best. I will be doing infusions on the 3rd floor instead of the 2nd floor of the Prairie Center this time around, which is laid out the same, but the unit is a little smaller. I will be with the Gynocological cancer patients. I think they're really full on second floor.

They ran the Perjeta (diarrhea drug) first, for about an hour, then waited a half hour and did Herceptin for 1 1/2 hours, then gave me an oral Benadryl and an IV steriod and IV anti-nausea drug and started icing my fingers and toes, these are all precautionary drugs for the systemic chemo called Taxol. It's a gentler drug and a lower dose than the Taxotere I got before, but can cause an allergic reaction the first time or two that they administer it. The ice is to help keep the medicine from going to my extremities and help avoid neuropathy. Then after they finish the Taxotere infusion, they flush good with some extra saline before taking me off the ice. BOY did I have to pee when that was all over (about an hour total).

Today was the longest infusion day. The next two weeks are scheduled to be Taxol only, the other two will be given every 3rd week. And after this, they will push the drugs a little faster. So I'll be done by noon most weeks. Psh! Easy!

I have to say, I'm feeling fine. (Thanks steroids!) I think we're going to go out for supper to celebrate my birthday, and try to decorate for Christmas tomorrow. We'll see if I hit the wall sometime soon. I'll just keep bopping along until I do. They said the explosive and unpredictable diarrhea is ... well, unpredictable. But sometimes takes up to 3 weeks to kick in. I shall be carrying Immodium with me at all times.

I came home to no less than a dozen birthday cards/ thinking of you cards in the mail. Including a very generous check and a grocery gift card. We will be able to pay off our first big bill this week! Yay! So grateful!

I also received this necklace from my cousin Siobhan in Washington state. She has been so thoughtful and supportive both times I've been through this.

Well, you can't see it, but it's got a
treble clef, a music note and a heart charm
all on a delicate little silver chain. So pretty!
I'm feeling a LOT better about things now. I may feel differently come Sunday or Monday, but today things are good.

Oh, I have an amusing story for you. Yesterday for Thanksgiving, we celebrated at Matt's sister Rena's house, between Beresford and Centerville. Guests included Matt & Rena's mom and dad- Bruce and George, Re's daughter Lexi, our two kids, and Rena's husband Matt's two kids and his mom.  (Yes, Matt's sister married a man named Matt. It's all good. We like him a lot.)

We ate our big meal at noon, and everyone was ready to hit to road for home around 3:30 or so. I talked my family into going Christmas tree hunting... in my mom's attic in Yankton. They have GOBS of Christmas decorations in SD that go unused every year because they're in AZ by Christmastime. So, we added 2.5 hours of drive time and went and picked up some pencil trees to use in our basement living room. The only stipulation Mom had was that we had to take the decorations too.


Hopefully we can do the rest of the house tomorrow. Matt's in charge of outside lights this year. I have cancer as an excuse!

Happy Thanksgiving/ my birthday everyone. Thanks for all the love!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment